I have been feeling a bit inspired again to try some new recipes. This kid friendly salmon patty recipe I’ve had around for awhile, like from Parents magazine, 2013! What made me finally decided to try after all this time? Not sure but I can say I wish I had tried it much sooner because it was easy and yummy!
Full disclosure though, I didn’t feed this to my girls. I would have tried giving it to my 4 year old because she does eat Dr. Prager’s fishies but she’s always so tired at dinner time during the week so it’s not the best time to get her to eat new foods. And I did ask my 7 year old to try it and she did but has a strong dislike for fishy foods so I felt just getting her to try a bite was huge! Her verdict was “It’s ok” which translates to “I tried it, now don’t even think of giving it to me as a meal.” Ha!
In any case, my husband and I both enjoyed it and I even asked him if it was a recipe he’d eat again and agreed that he would. In my book, that’s a win!
I didn’t have to make many changes to this recipe. I did leave out the celery seed. I wasn’t clear what it was adding so I did a little research online and apparently, it doesn’t add much in flavor and the health benefits are minimal and unverified. Also, it calls for 8 – 2 1/2 patties but I made it into 5 as seen below. And I believe I cooked them for longer then the recipe says, basically, until I felt they were done. Lastly, I used panko crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs because that’s what I had in the pantry. Note, these patties weren’t incredibly firm but I cooked them until I felt they were firm enough. I served them with a vegetable and a starch on the side but a salad would also be just fine.
If you want an easy recipe to have in your back pocket, I highly suggest this one. Especially because you can buy the pouches of salmon to have around as a back up meal or last minute option. What’s not to like about that?!
- 2 5 oz. pouches skinless, boneless pink salmon
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 5 Tbsp bread crumbs, divided (Panko)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Place salmon in a medium bowl. Using a fork, flake salmon into small pieces.
- Add ketchup, 2 Tbsp bread crumbs, egg, and pepper. Use the fork to stir until combined.
- Place the remaining bread crumbs in a shallow baking dish. Using wet hands, shape the salmon mixture into 4 patties. Dredge the salmon patties in the bread crumbs to coat well on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the salmon patties, in batches if necessary.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side until browned and heated through.
- Serve with a vegetable and salad for a complete meal.