If you’ve never heard of Everlane, then you’re missing out on an amazing opportunity to get quality, and ethically made, clothes at reasonable prices. Everlane is a company that came on the market back in 2011. It started as a company making “modern basics,” i.e. your simple basic items of clothing (think tee shirts) and selling them only online. The main difference between their products and a lot of what is seen in stores is that they value “radical transparency,” meaning they share where the clothing is made and the cost of the items made and therefore, charging honest and reasonable prices to consumers. The company has grown over the years to offer a lot more then just basics (think sweaters, shoes, bags and now jeans) and even opened 2 retail outposts this past year in New York and San Francisco.
Note: Here’s a link to an interesting article from The New Yorker back in the Fall about the company to check out: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/how-everlane-hacked-your-wardrobe.
My History with Everlane
I bought my first tee shirt from Everlane back in 2014 and it was the Cotton U Neck in white. I loved the tee so much because it was comfortable, a good length for me and felt the neck line was flattering on my frame. I was such a fan of the tee that I decided to buy the same white tee again a year ago (you know having 2 of the same thing is never a bad idea when you wear it a lot), and the navy version to go along with it. And then I hadn’t bought anything from there until last Summer. Mainly, I would forget to check the site or they hadn’t added new appealing styles I wanted to buy. Meanwhile, I continued to wear my u neck tees BUT then last Summer, I found that they had added a lot more new styles of clothing, particularly tops, that appealed to me. Even more exciting is that some of these new tops came in smaller sizes, which is perfect for this petite girl. 😀 When I went to order some of the new tops, mainly tanks, last summer, I actually had a hard time deciding what to order this time because there was a lot I wanted to try. Plus, they now had really simple cotton dresses, too, that I was interested in.
At first, I was looking at 2 dresses. One was the Short Sleeve Micro Rib Tee Dress (but I already own a similar one in black from Athleta), and the other was the Cotton Tank Dress (which is striped and I already own a similar one as well). While a stripe tank dress is good to have around, can’t say as a someone who is a fan of solids, that having 2 in the same striped style made sense. Meanwhile, I was also completely drawn to the new tank styles they offered. So, I ended up ordering 3 tops, the micro rib tank,the micro striped crew tee, and the cotton muscle tank.
Tanks and Tees:
- The Micro Rib Tank – White (XS) – I love it this tank! It is soft and has good stretch, exactly what you want in a rib tank. Also, for me, the length was perfect!! As a petite girl (I’m 5’1), it is really hard to find tanks these days that are not incredibly long. And for someone who often wears them on their own and not to layer, I really prefer hip length. It’s not even too sheer, just a teeny bit! (See picture #2 below) The only downside I would say is that I think I could have gone with a size small and also been happy. Meanwhile, I went to order the small last week and it’s back ordered until February so I’m “on the list” to be notified when it becomes available.
- The Micro-Striped Crew – White / Navy Stripe (XS) – This tank was tight and very fitted. I could have sized up or wasn’t the right fit for my taste. This top I apparently didn’t get a picture of, unfortunately. But, truth be told, it didn’t look great on me as I mentioned. I also ended up with a different navy striped tank from another brand later in the Summer that fit me a lot better. Glad I returned this one.
- The Muscle Tank – Pink (XXS) – I remember when I ordered this I couldn’t decide on which size so I went with the XXS. However, I could have gone with the XS but I liked everything about the tank anyway so I kept it. It just fit me slightly higher in the armpit then was ideally comfortable but I still wore it. This muscle tank is a comfortable cotton and a good length on me, like the rib tank. Also, I just re-ordered this tank in white in the XS so we’ll see if that fits me a bit better in the armpit. If the pink is still available, go for it, though! It is a perfect pastel pink. And the tank, in general, is a good one to have in your closet.
Sweaters I bought this Winter
Fast forward to this Winter. It has been FREEZING like I can’t remember it being this cold for so many days in a row ever before. I’m sure I could be wrong but when you’re in the midst of a deep cold front, it feels this way. And of course, it had me craving for more cozy sweaters. Honestly, I like wool sweaters but prefer to touch them because some wool are definitely itchier then others. And acrylic, eh, I prefer to stay away from it. You’ll see a lot of bloggers rave about adorable reasonably priced sweaters and 9 out of 10 times that sweater has acrylic in it. Yes, it’s a warm material but it’s synthetic fiber that doesn’t wear well. Plus, it almost makes me TOO hot in a short amount of time. Point being, I gravitate towards soft sweaters like cashmere, that are reasonably priced. There are different varieties of cashmere and so different price points, too. But not all cashmere that’s cheap is bad quality. I love Aqua Cashmere sweaters from Bloomingdales. They come in all kinds of different styles but mainly the price point is reasonable (especially if you can get one on sale or promotion) but the quality is there. Anyway, I ended up back at Everlane to check out their line of sweaters because I already own a few from Aqua and came upon the waffle cashmere sweater And the chunky cotton crew. While the cotton crew isn’t cashmere, my thought was that if it was a thick enough cotton, maybe it would be warm enough for the cold temps AND for Spring. I was trying to think ahead here a bit. Ha!
- The Waffle Knit Cashmere Square Crew in Black (XXS) – Love this sweater! I was pretty excited about it, not going to lie. And it pretty much lived up to my expectations. The fabric is a soft quality cashmere like you want. The waffle style added some different style to it but the updated detail of a small side slit and the shape of it really hit the mark for being on trend. Black is sometimes hard to show the details because of lighting (and unfortunately the lighting in my closet is not always great) but if you look at it online, you can see the waffle detail better. I wore this sweater the day or so after it arrived and I felt the length was also great for me. The only thing I was on the fence about was if I could have gone with the XS and I think it would have been fine, too.
- The Chunky Knit Cotton Crew in Pink (XS) – To start, the pink color of this sweater is exactly what I was hoping. It is a really perfect pastel pink. The crew top was a comfortable chunky cotton, just as described. The wide cuff wasn’t too tight and I liked the small front/side slits (similar to the waffle cashmere sweater above) because it added a modern detail. The size was perfect for me but I did end up returning this top. Why? Well, I remembered that sometimes a chunky cotton isn’t the most comfortable for me once the temps warm up enough to wear it, mainly in the Spring. I get hot very easily in a chunky cotton but truly believe, this is just me. Lol. I was hoping to get the Soft Cotton Square Crew instead but it is currently back ordered in the pink and white in my size so I am on the “wait list” to be notified when it comes available in mid-February. For now, I exchanged it for this adorable Oversized Fleece Hoodie with side slits they just added to the site in navy (I went with an XS). Oh, as for wearing this chunky crew during the cold temps, well, I think it would be fine as long as it’s not in the 30s and below like we were having. I think it would be great for any temps in the 40s and 50s.
Choose What You Pay
I almost forgot to mention the site has a ‘Choose What You Pay’ for some items and guess what? This currently includes the U Neck Tee! (In all colors but white). How it works is: “Sometimes we love a design so much that we overproduce it. We’re getting better at predicting demand, but to move overstock on selected items, we’re letting you choose what you pay. Enjoy.” What’s not to love about that?!
Below are a few more of my favorites.If you want to check out these great items and more of what Everlane sells, shop here with my referral link.