I’ve been subscribing to Birchbox for about 7 months now. If you are not familiar with the company, it is a subscription beauty company. Every month you receive a pretty box of samples tailored to your personal profile and a sample choice for that month (you pick the sample from a few options ahead of time). You never know what the next month’s box will hold! Also, for every sample you review, you earn points that can be converted towards money applied on a full size purchase.
At this point I have tried a good amount of sames so I figured I’d share which products I liked enough to buy the full size and which items have gotten me excited enough that I will likely buy the full size when I run out of the sample.
I’ve only bought 3 full size products so far from the samples I received, and that was once I ran out of the sample. They are:
- Camille Beckman Glycerin Hand Therapy™ – I fell in love with this sample right away. The smell and the consistency were a perfect combination so it was actually the first sample I bought in the full size. I genuinely felt like my hands felt soft for longer then with other hand creams I’ve used. There are other scents available if the Tuscan Honey isn’t your thing.
- Antastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel – I had been thinking about trying a brow gel and knew that this brand is one of the best. I went through the sample fast and am convert. I use it daily now.
- Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow – I like this product so much and mentioned it in my first beauty post here. It just has a nice color and feel to it so that it quickly became one of my make-up staples.
1. Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner in Midnight – This color was perfect for my blue eyes. I just love it. It goes on smoothly and lasts all day. I try not to use my sample too often because right now, sadly, the midnight color is not available in the full size. It comes in a bunch of nice colors so I may try it in another color at some point. Oh, and the price is completely reasonable at $11!
2. Marcelle Clay Mask – I don’t use masks very often (although I probably should) so this one was a pleasant surprise. You wear it for 10 minutes and my skin really did feel great after.
3. 100% Pure Organic Coffee Bean Eye Cream (I actually owned this a few years ago!) – This was in my most recent box from September. I used this product a few years ago and liked it and then for whatever reason, I switched to trying something else. By the time I decided to buy it again, it was no longer available from the original vendor I purchased it from. Just to note but in reading the reviews for the product, it seems some people like the smell and some don’t. Personally, I’m a fan of the smell. And truth be told, I’m not sure HOW much difference this makes but I like the texture of it and the idea of it so I use it in the AM and am happy. 🙂
4. Liz Earle Eyebright™ Soothing Eye Lotion – Honestly, I find the idea of this product so appealing but I’m not sure if it really makes a difference! That being said, I definitely use it on the mornings that I just look, you know, ugh! There is just something soothing about it, maybe it’s the combination of witch hazel, aloe and a pleasant smell. Either way, I’m sold!
5. Real Chemistry Luminous 3- Minute Peel – I have never used this type of product before and have always been very intimated about which one to try. I just finished up the sample the other day because I have enjoyed using the product. I tended to use it on a morning when I felt my skin was looking a little dull. After, my skin definitely felt soft. I received a similar product in a different box but I think I’d stick with this one because while they both worked the same to me, the price point of this one is much more reasonable. Although, full disclosure, it is still expensive for a product you don’t use every day.
6. Visanti® BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (not pictured because I ran out of this awhile ago) – Very good gentle, exfoliator. I am using a similar product from the drug store that I’ve used for awhile now so when I run out of that one, it will be a tough decision whether to purchase this one instead because I liked it enough but it is definitely not cheap for an exfoliator.
7. Harvey Prince Hello fragrance – Just got this scent in my September box and I have been wearing it a lot! I tend to lean towards sweeter scents and this one is sweet and floral and perfect for my taste.
8. Folle de Joie eau de Parfum – Kind of similar to the Harvey Prince Hello but is a little bit spicier. So, I may not actually buy this one because it is really pricey at $98 but you never know!
On the fence about this product:
Juice Beauty® Stem Cellular CC Cream in Warm Glow – When I first used this product, I was completely turned off by the smell even though I liked the product feel and look. I was convinced the smell was horrible. But after trying it a few more times, the smell is less noticeable to me and I actually like the product! If you like that it’s an organic brand then I’d say definitely try it. Otherwise, for me, I’m just not sure since I already really like the Marcelle BB Cream I mention above and they are similar products.
I would Never Buy, i.e. Epic Fail (In My Opinion):
Stila Look At Me Liquid Lipstick in Bella – ugh, totally awful. This was one of the sample choices one month (I had to pick a color and didn’t receive a trio as shown in the link). I vaguely remember the other option wasn’t too great either so I tried to go with the lesser of 2 evils. The color was so terribly bright AND I couldn’t get it off! So, yeah for Stila for making a good long lasting product but, for me, it was by far the worst sample I have gotten yet. I don’t even have a picture because I threw it out!
There have been plenty of decent samples I’m not mentioning here, mainly hair products and sun care, but none have gotten me excited to use them like the ones I’m mentioning here.
If you finding that you are not sure of what products to try without spending a fortune, then I highly recommend Birchbox. That’s why I finally joined. And it’s only $10/month!